Mon, May 09|
Valmont HQ: Committed to Sustainability, Expansion, and the Employee Experience
Tour of the new Valmont Corporate Headquarters
Time & Location
May 09, 2022, 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Omaha, 15000 Valmont Plaza, Omaha, NE 68154, USA
About the Event
The new Valmont Industries headquarters is strategically situated on a 6-acre site of the north gateway to the 500-acre Heartwood Preserve mixed-use development — which some foresee as the new downtown of west Omaha. Committed to sustainability, the new global headquarters design achieves LEED Gold certification for commercial interiors and WELL Gold certification. The exterior of new office building features sleek metal panels and high-efficiency glazing system. The east and west curtain wall system not only captures the great view of surrounding green space and introduces natural light into interior space, but also showcases Valmont products — custom-made perforated metal panels used as sun screens.
The tour of the Valmont Industries headquarters will demonstrate to attendees how a building can be designed in collaboration with several stakeholders to provide a healthy, active workplace for a thriving company. Issues of code compliance and life safety will be discussed in regards to the unique building form the building exemplifies. Natural daylighting and building orientation will demonstrate how employees’ physical and mental welfare was considered during the design.
AIA Learning Units Pending
- Building Design – The design architect will discuss how the building form was generated to accommodate owner and tenant vision for a global headquarters. Attendees will learn how the new headquarters building fits into the context of the new development, and how the building helps contribute to the vision of a healthy, walkable development with shared outdoor amenites.
- Construction Administration – The project manager will discuss the design and construction process, along with the positive and negative effects of working with several design and construction subcontractors during a global pandemic. Strategies for creating a safe and healthy working condition for the design team during the pandemic will be discussed in a way for the attendees to learn how to improve their own design process.
- Environmental Analysis – Several building components were designed and constructed thoughtfully through analysis of the environmental conditions of the building site. Attendees will learn how the shading devices on the building were designed to block direct sunlight yet still allow air flow through the shades. Strategies for avoiding aero-acoustic issues with sunshades will be discussed for attendees to apply to their own projects.
- Materials and Systems – Building materials found both on the interior and exterior of the building were selected and designed in collaboration with the building tenant. Attendees will be able to understand challenges and benefits of using specific construction materials and how those construction materials can be customized for future projects.
- Code Compliance – An effective strategy, specifically tailored to the Valmont HQ building form, regarding building egress and life safety code will be discussed. Attendees will learn how a building’s form impacts egress travel distance and egress component sizing. Specifically, the Valmont project demonstrates how two buildings need two egress cores each (four cores total) to meet life safety code, but combining the two buildings into a shared oversized central core can eliminate the need for the forth core – resulting in a celebrated, shared, third core. Attendees will learn how to calculate the required egress width in the stair core to accommodate the occupant load.
1 hour 30 minutes
Tour BeginsValmont Global Headquarters
1 hour 30 minutes
Dinner Following Tour (Time is approximate)Stokes Grill & Bar